Recipes For Peace and Contented Living
On Being Contented:
These are the nine requisites of Goethe for contented living.
1. Health enough to make work a pleasure;
2. Wealth enough to support your needs;
3. Strength enough to battle with difficulties and forsake them;
4. Grace enough to confess your sins and overcome them;
5. Patience enough to toil until some good is accomplished;
6. Charity enough to see some good in your neighbour;
7. Love enough to move you to be useful and helpful to others;
8. Faith enough to make real the things of God;
9. Hope enough to remove all anxious fears concerning the future.
Some advice about coping with memories of the past:
The Dalai Lama says:
My personal phllosophy is not to care too much about the past – the past has disappeared into space.
The future depends on the present – on today.
We must control anger and hatred in ourselves.
My religion is simple – my religion is kindness.
And a thought on Peace – by Derek Tangye:
It is the peace which you can find in your soul which counts;
And the soul is your personal possession throughout your journey towards Perfection.